Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Basking in the Light





     As I was driving to a school to give a Choose to Wait presentation I prayed over the teens that I’d be seeing.  From past experience the school I would be visiting that day had become known to me as one full of tough teens which resulted in usually poor feedback: all the more reason to go! I determined to spend my entire drive in prayer that God would open the eyes of the hearts of these teens and that seeds of truth would fall on fertile soil.



In spite of the fact that it was one of those very gray days I recalled the scripture (Matthew 5:14) where Christ says we are the light of the world.  That is exactly the reality of what Choose to Wait is all about; shedding light in a dark world and on a topic that not too many people of light want to discuss. I can’t imagine how we Christians have come to allow such a beautiful gift from God become so distorted that many feel our sexuality is a topic to be discussed in hush-hush tones, if at all.



Have you ever been in a dark or dimly lit room for a time and then stepped into the brilliant sunshine? Had you been in the darkness long enough the brightness of the light is annoying at best or perhaps even intolerable and blinding. I imagine that this is what many teens experience who have never been exposed to this kind of brilliance on such a topic as their value and worth. Our program walks into their lives shining blinding brightness and truth on a topic our culture has reserved for dark places.  Some squint, some shade their eyes because the light in incomprehensible, but slowly and surely we get to witness the majority of their eyes adjust. Anonymous feedback clearly indicates they’ve enjoyed a good bask in the Son!      

Tracey Pike
Director of Abstinence Education 

No comments:

Enter your email address to receive an email whenever this blog is updated:

Delivered by FeedBurner