Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Volunteering to Make a Difference


Meet Casey, whose life has been impacted by the Pregnancy Care Center so she chose to make an impact through volunteering!

PCC: Where did you first hear about the Pregnancy Care Center and why did you decide to become involved with the ministry?

Casey: I first heard about the Pregnancy Care Center when I was in 6th grade at St. Peter’s Lutheran School. We were beginning to learn sex education and were taught about the functions of the Pregnancy Care Center. During my 8th grade year, Tracey Pike came and shared her story with us and talked to us about both the religious and health- related benefits of remaining abstinent. Apparently I didn’t listen well enough, because during my sophomore year of high school I became pregnant with my now 2 year old son, Rowan. After struggling to balance my school work with my family relationships and motherhood, I decided that I should try to help other girls in my situation however I could. I became a regular volunteer, sorting clothes, tying diapers, and stuffing bottles each week. When I turned 18, I was able to become a volunteer receptionist and I absolutely loved being able to answer the phone calls and help girls my age who were experiencing unplanned pregnancies to figure out what to do next.

PCC: What is your favorite part of volunteering for the PCC?

Casey: My favorite part of volunteering at PCC is the relationship between all of the managers, nurses, counselors, and volunteers. I love learning from everyone there and feeling comfortable talking to them about anything!

PCC: How has volunteering at the PCC impacted you?

Casey: I think volunteering at PCC has taught me a lot about how God feels about premarital sex. I has been able to ask forgiveness and make better decisions for myself. I have also realized that becoming a counselor at the Pregnancy Care Center is something that really interests me and is a definite possibility for me in the future.

PCC: In your opinion, why is it important to have a place like the PCC available to the community?

Casey: It is SO important for communities to have a place for struggling pregnant teens and young women to seek help. I love that the Pregnancy Care Center not only provides physical support and emotional support, but they also provide spiritual support to those who seek it. It is a perfect way to develop a strong mother who can make positive choices for her children.

PCC: What are your future goals and plans now that you have graduated high school?

Casey: I am now a student at Purdue University and will begin taking classes in the fall. My fiancĂ© (Rowan’s dad), Kevin, and I are getting married on July 14th before we move to Lafayette together with Rowan. Kevin will be studying Mechanical Engineering and I will be obtaining a Master’s degree in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. We are so excited about the future and what it will hold for our little family.

No comments:

Enter your email address to receive an email whenever this blog is updated:

Delivered by FeedBurner